Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What is expected of us?


Abraham 3:25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

This scripture has always seemed to me to be pretty demanding, but I realized something the other day -- nothing is said about how well we do the things we are commanded. Nothing at all is said about our success.

It would appear to me that the proof is that we *will* do them, that we are willing to obey, not in our ability to do it well.

1 Samuel 16:7 - For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.

That suddenly takes a huge burden of "works" off of our shoulders. I like this new understanding, as it makes my failures seem less devastating, and drives home the reality of the Atonement - that my sins of scarlet really can be as white as wool, if I am willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment